Detailed descriptions of the research can be found in the Research Overview and the individual faculty pages.
The following are an example of the research that is performed here:
- design and chemical synthesis of analogs of regulatory peptides
- the role of peptides in the regulation of gastrointestinal and cardiovascular functions and of bone growth and development
- the role of proteolytic enzymes in the biosynthesis of peptide hormones
- nucleic acid catalysis and molecular engineering
- the regulation of gene expression and molecular diagnostics
- the cellular and genetic basis for differentiation of the brain, inner ear and cardiovascular system
- molecular delineation of the developmental and functional mechanisms of the inner ear
- comparative neuroanatomy & neurodegenerative disease
- cellular mechanics
- intracellular electrophysiology and respiratory mechanics and control
- arteriosclerotic & restenotic diseases
The research is supported by facilities, including cores for bioimaging, structural bioinformatics, proteomics, genomics and molecular diagnostics.. The Department encourages collaborative research interaction with faculty in the Departments of Pharmacology, Medical Microbiology & Immunology, Medicine and Surgery; the Osteoporosis Research Center, The Girls and Boys Town National Research Hospital and the Veteran's Administration Hospital.