Department of Pathology: Associate Professor
Subspecialties: Gastrointestinal Pathology and Surgical Pathology
School of Pharmacy and Health Professionals: Associate Professor
Pathologist, CHI Health & Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center
CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center
601 N. 30th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68131
Education & Training
M.B.B.S. - (Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Medicine) Lady Hardinge Medical College, University of Delhi, India (1991)
Membership of Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists (MRCOG), Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, London, England (1998)
Resident, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency Program, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska (1999-2003)
Fellow, Surgical pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago (2003-2004)
American Board of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (2004)
- Gastrointestinal pathology
- MTHFR polymorphisms and cancer in Barrett's esophagus.
- EGFR expression in adenocarcinomas presenting as Pseudomyxoma peritonei.
- Sharma P,Sarma DP,Adickes ED: Seborrheic keratosis with in situ squamous cell carcinoma changes. Accepted for publication in The Internet Journal of Dermatology.
- Gatalica Z., McCue PA, Sharma P, Bridge J, Knezetic J, Hempel J and Lilleberg S: Medullary Renal Carcinoma Phenotype Is Associated With Diverse Genotypes. Accepted for accepted for publication in The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics.
- Sharma P, Loggie B, Gatalica Z: EGFR expression correlates with grade of mucinous adenocarcinoma presenting as Pseudomyxoma peritonei. Accepted for poster presentation at the XXVI Congress of the International Academy of Pathology, September 2006, Montreal.
- Sarma DP, Sharma P: Bullous Solar Keratosis: The Internet Journal of Dermatology. 2006;4:1
- Gatalica Z, Sharma P, Hatcher L: Role of MTHFR gene polymorphisms on malignant transformation in Barrett's metaplasia. Poster presentation at 97th annual meeting of American Association for Cancer Research, April 2006, Washington, D.C.
- Gao X, Mohsin SK, Gatalica Z, Fu G, Sharma P, Nawaz Z: Decreased expression of E6-associated protein in breast and prostate carcinomas. Endocrinology. 2005 Apr;146(4):1707-12.
- Sharma P, Gatalica Z, Prasad S and Nawaz Z: MUC1, 2, 5AC, and 6 Expression pattern in Barrett's Metaplasia, Barrett's related Dysplasia and Adenocarcinoma. Modern Pathology 2005 Jan:18(1):117A.
- Stickle DF, Sharma P, Wiltse HE, Pirrucello SJ, Post GR: Quantitative approach to analysis of data using the sigma kit for bloodspot newborn screening for galactose-1-phosphate uridyl transferase deficiency to detect compound heterozygotes with 25% net activity. Clinical Chemistry 2002 48(S6):A29.
- Sharma P, Sanger W, Dave B, Greiner TC: Cytogenetic abnormalities in Post transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorders. Modern Pathology 2002 Jan:15(1):263A.
- Sharma P, Griener TC: Distribution of lymphomas in female genital tract. Modern Pathology 2001 Jan:14(1):145A.
- Foster JM, Uppala R, Govindarajan V, Carreau JH, Gatalica Z, Sharma P, Nath S, Loggie BW. Clinical implications of novel activating EGFR mutations in malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. World J Surg Oncol. 2010 Oct 13;8(1):88.
- Senapati S, Ho SB, Sharma P, Das S, Chakraborty S, Kaur S, Niehans G, Batra SK. Expression of intestinal MUC17 membrane-bound mucin in inflammatory and neoplastic diseases of the colon. J Clin Pathol. 2010 Aug;63(8):702-7.
- Drescher KM, Sharma P, Lynch HT. Current Hypotheses on How Microsatellite Instability Leads to Enhanced Survival of Lynch Syndrome Patients. Clin Dev Immunol. 2010;2010:170432. Epub 2010 Jun 10.
- Pan Z, Repertinger S, Leonard R, Bewtra C, Gatalica Z, Sharma P. Cervical and endometrial metastases of appendiceal goblet cell carcinoid. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 May;134(5):776-80.
- Sharma P, Drescher KM, Watson P, Gatalica Z, Thibodeau SN, Lynch HT. Lymphocyte recruitment into the tumor site is altered in patients with MSI-H colon cancer. Fam Cancer. 2009;8(3):231-9.
- Munro EG, Jain M, Oliva E, Sharma P, Batra SK. Upregulation of MUC4 in cervical squamous cell carcinoma: Pathological significance. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2009 Mar;28(2):127-33.
- Senapati S, Chaturvedi P, Sharma P, Venkatraman G, Meza JL, El-Rifai W, Roy HK, Batra SK. Deregulation of MUC4 in gastric adenocarcinoma: potential pathobiological implication in poorly differentiated non-signet ring cell type gastric cancer. Br J Cancer. 2008;99(6):949-56.
- Sharma P, Senapati S, Bafna S, Roy HK, Batra SK. The MUC gene family: Their role in the diagnosis and prognosis of gastric cancer. Histol Histopathol (2008)23:1541-1552.
- Burjonrappa SC, Reddimasu S, Gao X, Sharma P, Loggie B. Mucin expression profile in Barrett's dysplasia and adenocarcinoma sequence in the esophagus. Indian Journal of Cancer. 2007. Jan 44(1): 1-5
- Gao X, Mohsin SK, Gatalica Z, Fu G, Sharma P, Nawzaz Z. Decreased expression of E6-associated protein in breast and prostate carcinomas. Endocrinology. 2005 Apr;146(4):1707-12.