News and Events
Under the leadership of Dr. Robert R. Recker, Dr. Robert P. Heaney, Dr. Joan M. Lappe and Dr. Laura A. Armas, the Creighton University Osteoporosis Research Center (ORC) continues today a 40-year effort that has created an international center of excellence in bone research. This team carries out:
- patient care, including state-of-the-art evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment
- basic-science research, which is laboratory-based
clinical research involving volunteer participants
The ORC team includes nearly 50 persons:
- A distinguished faculty - including physician-scientists, molecular biologists, molecular geneticists, nurse-scientists, a computer scientist, a statistician, an exercise physiologist, and a biomechanical engineer - whose work is recorded in an impressive list of recent publications;
- A skillful staff, including research nurses, a research dietitian, an information technology specialist, laboratory technicians, bone densitometry technicians, research assistants, administrative staff; and
Professional, graduate, and post-doctoral students.
The activities of the ORC are organized into Departments, which provide professional, technical, and support services.
Creighton in the Community features Osteoporosis
The Mission of the Osteoporosis Research Center is to contribute to the research, teaching, and service components of Creighton University's Mission:
- By serving people at risk, or suffering from osteoporosis;
- By discovering and disseminating knowledge pertaining to the prevention and cure of osteoporosis;
- By investigating bone biology with specific references to mechanisms of development of skeletal fragility fractures, and at the same time by using this work as a window on broader biological questions;
- By providing its research volunteers a safe, scientifically valid experience, by treating them with courtesy and due appreciation for their participation, and by helping them to the extent consistent with it's research mission; and,
- By enhancing the personal and professional growth of all members of the team.