Department of Pathology: Associate Professor
Specialties: Clinical Pathology, Immunopahtology, Chemistry, Microbiology & Immulogy
Medical Director Alegent Creighton Clinic, Hospital Clinical Laboratory
Associate Director of Clinical Pathology
Associate Chief, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Omaha
Associate Chief of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service, VAMC, Lincoln, NE
Associate Chief of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service, VAMC, Grand Island, NE
CLIA Laboratory Director, Laboratory, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, NorthPlatte, NE
CLIA Laboratory Director, Laboratory, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Holdrege, NE
Director of Laboratories and Consultant Pathologist, Boys Town National Research Hospital, Omaha, NE
Alegent Creighton Health Creighton University Medical Center
Pathology Department and
Creighton Medical Laboratories
601 N. 30th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68131
Education & Training
B.A. - Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana (1972)
Ph.D. - University of Rome, Rome, Italy (1977)
M.D. - Catholic University, (Universita` Cattolica del Sacro Cuore), (1983)
Pathology Residency - Brown University. Providence, RI (1987)
Clinical Pathology Fellowship - George Washington University (1998)
Immunology Fellowship - National Institutes of Health, Bethesda (1990)
Board Certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (1988)
Board Certified in Immunopathology (1989)
- 1987-88 Second year Pathology Course, Medical School, George Washington University, Washington, D.C., As an assistant in Pathology, first semester small group sessions didactic and laboratories
- 1990-92 Second year Pathology Course, School of Medicine Marshall University, As an Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Neoplasia, Cardiovascular, Immunology and Immunopathology, Skin and Bone Malignancies
- 1990-93 School of Medicine, Marshall University, Huntington, WV and West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, as an Assistant Professor, Associate Member, Dept. of Microbiology Immunology Course (Immunopathology), a semester course
- 1992-93 Second year Pathology Course, School of Medicine Marshall University, As an Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Neoplasia, Cardiovascular, Immunology and Immunopathology
- Small group sessions: Gynecologic and Gastrointestinal Pathology
- 2001-present First year Anatomy Laboratory, Creighton University School of Medicine As an Assistant Professor of Pathology
- 2001-present Second year Pathology Course, Creighton University School of Medicine As Associate Professor of Pathology
- 2001-present Infectious Disease Rounds, Pharmacy Doctoral candidates, Laboratory, Microbiology section, St. Joseph Hospital later Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha NE
- 2002-present First year Molecular and cell Biology, Creighton University School of Medicine, As Associate Professor of Pathology
- 2003, July Second Year Elective, Creighton University School of Medicine, General Medicine - ILAC Mission (Institute for Latin American Concerns), Santiago de Los Caballeros, Dominican Republic and Mata Grande, San Jose de las Matas, Dominican Republic
- 2003-present Creighton University School of Medicine Multicultural and Community Affairs, Mentor - Medical students - Undergraduates
- Anti-Neutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies
- Immunology and Autoimmunity
- Outreach Pathology
- Chemistry and Toxicology
- Sharma P, Sharma S, Baltaro, R, Hurley J, Systemic Vasculitis, American Family Physician, 2010. (in press)
- Alla, Venkata M, Thambidorai, Senthil; Kishlay, Anand; Mooss, Aryan, Baltaro, R, Syed, Mohiuddin, and Jyotsna, Maddury. C-Reactive Protein and the Risk of atrial fibrillation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation, January 2010; 10(1).
- Novak, DJ, Bashir K, Baltaro, RJ, Cavalieri SJ: Neisseria sicca/subflava: continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis-associated peritonitis. Laboratory Medicine 2007: 38 (6): 363-364.
- Baltaro, RJ, Nipper, HC, Hashish, HA, Sakowski, HA Cichowski, EC: Autopsy Findings in a Case of Short-term Low-dose Propofol infusion syndrome. (in press)
- Drincic, A, Anderson, R, Baltaro, RJ: Low Prostate Specific Antigen May Predict Panhypopituitarism, Endocrine Practice, May/June 2008; 14(4): 432-6.
- Baltaro, R., J., Lessons to be Learned, A Terrorism Experience, Omaha Metropolitan Medical Society, Physicians Bulletin, November 2003
- P. Yohannes, T. Bruno, M. Pathan, R. Baltaro, Laparoscopic-assisted Excision of a Urachal Sinus, 17(7): 475-79, Journal Endourology, 2003.
- Driscoll, H.K., Chertow, B.S., Jelic, T.M., Baltaro, R.J., et al, Vitamin A Status Effects the Development of Diabetes and Insulinitis in BB Rats, Metabolism, 45 (2): 248:253, 1996.
- Jelic, T.M., Triest, W., Shiels, J., Porter, D., Cherry, D., Baltaro, R.J., et al, Calcified aldosterone-producting adrenocortical adenoma, Clinical Imaging, 20 (1): 50-54, 1996.
- Suffredini, A.F., Shelhamer, J.H., Neumann, R.D., Brenner, M., Baltaro, R.J., et al, Pulmonary and Oxygen Transport Effect of Intravenously Administered Endotoxin to Normal Humans, Am Rev Resp Dis, 145 (6): 1398-403, 1992.
- Hoffman, G.S., Sechler, J.M.G., Gallin, J.I., Shelhamer, J.H., Suffredini, A.F., Ognibene, F.P., Baltaro, R.J., Fleisher, T.A., Borok, Z., Leavitt, R.Y., Travis, W.D., Barile, M.F., Tsokos, M., Holman, R.P., M., Straus, S.E., Fauci, A.S., Bronchoalveolar Lavage Analysis in Wegener's Granulomatosis. A Method to Study Disease Pathogenesis, Am Rev Resp Dis, 143 (2): 401-407, 1991.
- Baltaro, R.J., Hoffman, G.S., Sechler, J.M.G., Suffredini, A., Shelhamer, J. H., Fauci, A.S., Fleisher, T.A., IgG Anti-Neutrophil Cytoplasmic AutoAntibodies Are Produced in the Respiratory Tract of Patients with Wegener's Granulomatosis, Am Rev Resp Dis, 143 (2): 275-278, 1991.
- Fenici, R.R., Masselli, M., Zeppilli, P., Baltaro, R.J., Clinical Demonstration of Intraatrial Conduction Disturbances by Means of Monophasic Action Potential Recording in Man, presented at the 9th International Congress of Electrocardiology, June 7-11, 1982, Tokyo, Japanese Heart Journal, 23: 189-191, (Suppl. 1) Dec. 1982.
- Pirrami, M.M., Zeppilli, P., Lo Zoppo, C., Sassara, M., Antico, L., Baltaro, R.J.: Psychological Analysis of Patients Hospitalized in the CCU of "A Gemelli" Hospital of Rome, Acta Medica Romana, 18: 346-351, 1980.
- Pirrami, M.M., Zeppilli, P., Lo Zoppo, C., Sassara, M., Antico, L., Baltaro, R.J.: First Year of Experience in the Coronary Care Unit of "A. Gemelli" Hospital of Rome: Critical Analysis and Perspectives, Acta Medica Romana, 18: 340-345, 1980.
- Maimone, F., Colonna, B., Baltaro, R., Casalino, M., Oliva, B.:Incompatibility Group Classification of Conjugated R Plasmids Isolated from Salmonella vienna, Acts of XVIII National Congress of the Italian Society of Microbiology, Fiuggi Terme, Italy, June 2-4, 1978.
- Betanzos, AL, Baltaro, RJ, Health Disparities, Cerebrovascular Disease and Hypertension in Omaha, Nebraska. [2009 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), November 4 - 7, 2009, Phoenix, AZ].
- Baltaro RJ, Grunkemeyer JA, Warrino DE, Ryan WL, Streck Cell Preservative® Reagent Stabilizes Bone Marrow Cells and Their Antigen Expression Profiles for Extended Analysis by Flow Cytometry. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2009; 133(10): 1653. [Presented at CAP '09, College of American Pathologists Meeting Washington DC October 11-14].
- Alla, Venkata M, Thambidorai, Senthil; Kishlay, Anand; Mooss, Aryan; Baltaro, RJ, Syed, Mohiuddin, Jyotsna, Maddury. Elevated C-Reactive Protein and the risk of Atrial Fibrillation: Cause, Consequence or Confounder. Systematic review and Meta-Analysis. [Presented at the National ACP meeting, Internal Medicine 2009, April 23-25 in Philadelphia, PA]. Research poster winning abstract.
- Patel, BM, Linde, EM, Baltaro RJ, Bewtra, AK, Exclusion of Psoriasis and Etanercept Therapy before Diagnosis of Idiopathic CD4 Lymphocytopenia (ICL) [Presented at 2008 ACAAI Annual Meeting , November 6-11, 2008 in Seattle, Washington. ACAAI, American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology.
- Warrino DE, Grunkemeyer JA, Baltaro RJ, Sotomayor EA, Ryan WL, Cyto-Chex® Reagent Stabilizes Bone Marrow Cells and Their Antigen Expression Profiles for Extended Analysis Using Flow Cytometry, 2006. [Presented at the 21nd Annual Clinical Cytometry, Meeting, Long Beach, California, October 6-10, 2006].
- Baltaro RJ, Dover SK, Nipper HC: Method comparison triage BNP, Abbott AxSYM and Beckman Coulter Access and possible NYHA misclassification using different testing systems. Clinical Chemistry 2006, 52(6):A185. [Presented at the American Association of Clinical Chemistry Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, July 27, 2006]
- Pathan M, Baltaro RJ, Giger D: Decreased drug bioavailability in a M. tuberculosis patient with a history of partial gastrectomy. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2005; 129(4):551-552. [Presented at College of American Pathologists Meeting (CAP), Phoenix, Arizona, September 19-22, 2004]
- Studts P, Nipper H, Baltaro RJ: Pediatric fatality to hydrochloroquinine ingestion. Journal of Analytical Toxicology 2005; 29:511. [Society of Forensic Toxicology (SOFT)/International Association of Forensic Toxicologists (TIAFT), Washington, DC, August 28 ¬ September 3, 2004]
- Hatcher LI, Brumback RA, Baltaro RJ, Gatalica Z, Knezetic J: Rapid detection of MTHFR C677T+MTHFR A1298C and factor V Leiden plus prothrombin G20210A SNPs by 4-plexed real-time PCR. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics 2004; 6:417. [Presented at Association for Molecular Pathology, Los Angeles, California, November 2004]
- Cichowski E, Sakowski H, Hashish H, Baltaro RJ: A case of wide anion gap non-acidosis. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2004; 19(Suppl 1):26. [Presented at the Society of General Internal Medicine, 27th SGIM Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, May 12-15, 2004]
- Studts, P., Nipper, H, Baltaro, R., Pediatric Fatality to Hydrochloroquinine Ingestion, Society of Forensic Toxicology (SOFT)/International Society of Forensic Toxicologists (TIAFT), Washington D.C., Giger, D., Baltaro, R.J., Decreased drug bioavailability in a M. tuberculosis patient with a history of partial gastrectomy, College of American Pathologists Meeting (CAP), Pheonix, AZ., September 19-22, 2004.
- Cichowski, E., Sakowski, H., Hashish, H., Baltaro, R., A Case of Wide Anion Gap Non-Acidosis, Clinical Vignette, Society of General Internal Medicine, 27th SGIM Annual Meeting, Chicago, May 2004.
- Bewtra, C., Hatcher, C., Xie, Q., Gatalica, Z.,Baltaro, R., Soundararajan, S., Zhou, F., Genital Human Papilloma Virus Testing by In-situ Hybridization Method in liquid Prepared Atypical Cytologic Materials and Corresponding Cervical Boipsies, USCAN Academy of Pathology, Vancouver, B.C. March 2004
- H. Hashish, H. Sakowski, E. Cichowski, H. Nipper, R. Baltaro, False Low Bicarbonate Level with Propofol Infusion and Hypertriglyceridemia, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE, Academy of Forensic Scientists, Chicago, Feb. 19, 2003.
- Cichowski E, Sakowski H, Hashish H, Baltaro RJ: Fooled by fat/perplexed by propofol. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2003; 18(Suppl 1):54. [Presented at the Regional Internal Medicine Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, April 2003]
- Sakowski, H., Cichowski, E.. Hashish, H., Baltaro, R., Fooled by Fat / Perplexed by Propofol, Regional Internal Medicine Meeting, Chicago, 2002.
- Pathan M, Yohannes P, Baltaro RJ: Radical excision of urachal sinus cyst by new urological laparoscopic-assisted technique and review of literature. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2002; 118(4):646-647. [Presented at American Society for Clinical Pathologists/College of American Pathologists Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, October 12-15, 2002]