Kayla M. Pope, JD, MD
Program Director, Psychiatry Residency Program
Director, Division Chief of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
School of Medicine
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Associate Professor
- Community Based Substance Abuse Experience for PGY IVs; this training experience provides residents with exposure to the full continuum of care for substance abuse and includes certification as a suboxone provider (2015).
- Correctional Psychiatry Experience for PGY IIs; I developed a training experience that exposes residents to a state prison and the local county jail (2015).
- Development of Clinical Training Experiences for Creighton Psychiatry Program: Integrated Care Experience for PGY IVs; I developed a three month block on integrated care providing exposure to different models across several of our training sites (2016).
- Juvenile Justice Integrated Care Clinic; a multidisciplinary clinic at the Omaha detention center for child fellows (2014).
- Psychotherapy Skills Clinic for PGY IIs; in collaboration with the VA, a skills development clinic to prepare residents for the outpatient year.
White SF, Tyler PM, Erway AK, Botkin ML, Kolli V, Meffert H, Pope K, Blair JR. Dysfunctional representation of expected value is associated with reinforcement-based decision-making deficits in adolescents with conduct problems., J. Child Psychol Psychiatry, 2016 Apr 8. doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12557. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27062170, 2016
- Juvenile life without parole: updates on legislative and judicial trends and on facilitating fair sentencing. Bath E, Pope K, Ijadi-Maghsoodi R, Thomas C. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry., J Am Acad Child Adolesc, 2015 May;54(5):343-7., 343-7, 2015
- White SF, Brislin S, Sinclair S, Fowler KA, Pope K, Blair RJ. The relationship between large cavum septum pellucidum and antisocial behavior, callous-unemotional traits and psychopathy in adolescents., J. Child Psychol Psychiatry, 2013
- White SF, Pope K, Sinclair S, Fowler KA, Brislin SJ, Williams WC, Pine DS, Blair RJ. Disrupted expected value and prediction error signaling in youths with disruptive behavior disorders during a passive avoidance task. Am J Psychiatry., Am J Psychiatry, 170 (3), 315-23, 2013
- Pope K. The Use of Pharmacological Agents to Treat Aggression: Is It Time to be Thinking about a Mechanism? Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology News, Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, Vol. 17, No 6, 7-10, 2013
- Pope K and Blair RJR, The Use of fMRI in Understanding Antisocial Behavior, in The Origins of Antisocial Behavior: A Developmental Perspective, C.R. Thomas and K. Pope (eds),, Oxford University Press, October 2012., 2012
- White SF, Williams WC, Brislin SJ, Sinclair S, Blair KS, Fowler KA, Pine DS, Pope K, Blair RJ. Reduced activity within the dorsal endogenous orienting of attention network to fearful expressions in youth with disruptive behavior disorders and psychopathic traits., Dev Psychopathol., (3), 1105-16, 2012
- Finger EC, Marsh A, Blair KS, Majestic C, Evangelou I, Gupta K, Schneider MR, Sims C, Pope K, Fowler K, Sinclair S, Tovar-Moll F, Pine D, Blair RJ. Impaired functional but preserved structural connectivity in limbic white matter tracts in youth with conduct disorder or oppositional defiant disorder plus psychopathic traits., Psychiatry Research, 2012
- Pope K, Luna B, Thomas CR. Developmental neuroscience and the courts: how science is influencing the disposition of juvenile offenders., J Am Acad Child Adolesc, (4), 341-2, 2012
- White SF, Marsh AA, Fowler KA, Schechter JC, Adalio C, Pope K, Sinclair S, Pine DS, Blair RJ. Reduced Amygdala Response in Youths With Disruptive Behavior Disorders and Psychopathic Traits: Decreased Emotional Response Versus Increased Top-Down Attention to Nonemotional Features., Am J Psychiatry, 2012
- Juvenile Justice Reform: Creating Developmentally Informed Systems of Care. University of Nebraska Lincoln, 2016
- Father Flanagan in the Age of Neuroscience, Creighton University Medical Center Grand Rounds, 2015
- Pearls, Pitfalls and Strategies: Negotiating Your First Job and Beyond, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting, 2015
- The Amazing Adolescent Brain, College of Saint Mary STEM Program, Omaha, NE, 2015
- Violence and Pathological Aggression in Children, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, 2015
- Juvenile Justice Reform: Creating Developmentally Informed Systems of Care. University of Nebraska Lincoln, 2015
- Pearls, Pitfalls and Strategies: Negotiating Your First Job and Beyond, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting, 2014
- Neurobiology of Aggression. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting, 2014
- Juvenile Justice Reform: Creating Developmentally Informed Systems of Care. University of Nebraska Lincoln, 2014
- Children’s Mental Health: Identifying and Addressing Community Needs. Omaha Chamber of Commerce, 2014
- Novel Therapeutics in the Treatment of Children’s Behavioral and Mental Health Problems. Grand Rounds, Case Western Reserve., 2014
- Neurobiology of Aggression. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting, 2013
- What Happens Now That I Have Graduated? Negotiating Your First Job. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting,, 2013
- The Treatment of Behavioral and Mental Health Problems in Children. Nebraska State Bar Annual Training, 2013
- Juvenile Justice Reform: Creating Developmentally Informed Systems of Care. University of Nebraska Department of Psychiatry, 2013
- Juvenile Justice Reform. University of Nebraska at Lincoln, 2013
Current Research Projects
- 9-2016 to 6-2017 Medical Director, Center for Neurobehavioral Research, Boys Town National Research Hospital. We are using fMRI, inflammatory markers and genetic markers to understand emotional and behavioral problems in children and to evaluate biological impact of current treatment modalities.
- AACAP Advocacy Grant 2014 and 2016, 2014