Jeremy M. Shefner, MD, PhD
School of Medicine, Phoenix Campus
- Neurology (Phoenix)
- Andrews JA, Shefner JM. Clinical neurophysiology of anterior horn cell disorders. Handbook of Clinical Neurology., Elsevier, Volume 161, Chapter 20, 317-326, 2019
- Andrews JA, Bruijn LI, Shefner JM. ALS drug development guidances and trial guidelines: Consensus and opportunities for alignment., Neurology, Volume 93, Issue 2, 66-71, 2019
- Darras BT, Chiriboga CA, Iannaccone ST, Swoboda KJ, Montes J, Mignon L, Xia S, Bennett CF,
Bishop KM, Shefner JM, Green AM, Sun P, Bhan I, Gheuens S, Schneider E, Farwell W, De Vivo DC;
ISIS-396443-CS2/ISIS-396443-CS12 Study Groups. Nusinersen in later-onset spinal muscular atrophy: Long-term results from the phase 1/2 studies., Neurology, Volume 92, Issue 21, e2492-e2506, 2019
- Shefner JM, Cudkowicz ME, Hardiman O, Cockroft BM, Lee JH, Malik FI, Meng L, Rudnicki SA, Wolff AA, Andrews JA. A phase III trial of tirasemtiv as a potential treatment for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis., Journal Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, Volume 20, Issue 7-8, 584-594, 2019
- Darras BT, Chiriboga CA, Iannaccone ST, Swoboda KJ, Montes J, Mignon L, Xia S, Bennett CF, Bishop KM, Shefner JM, Green AM, Sun P, Bhan I, Gheuens S, Schneider E, Farwell W, De Vivo DC. Nusinersen in later-onset spinal muscular atrophy: Long-term results from the phase 1/2 studies., Neurology, Volume 92, Issue 21, e2492-e2506, 2019
- Rutkove SB, Qi K, Shelton K, Liss J, Berisha V, Shefner JM. ALS longitudinal studies with frequent data collection at home: study design and baseline data., Journal Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, Volume 20, Issue 1-2, 61-67, 2018
- Shefner JM, Rutkove SB, Caress JB, Benatar M, David WS, Cartwright MC, Macklin EA, Bohorquez JL. Reducing sample size requirements for future ALS clinical trials with a dedicated electrical impedance myography system., Journal Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, Volume 19, Issue 7-8, 555-561, 2018
- , Muscle & Nerve, Volume 59, Issue 1, 6-7, 2018
- Brooks BR, Jorgenson JA, Newhouse BJ, Shefner JM, Agnese W. Edaravone in the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: efficacy and access to therapy - a roundtable discussion., American Journal of Managed Care, Volume 24, S175-S186, 2018
- Smith RA, Macklin EA, Myers KJ, Pattee GL, Goslin KL, Meekins GD, Green JR, Shefner JM, Pioro EP. Assessment of bulbar function in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: validation of a self-report scale (Center for Neurologic Study Bulbar Function Scale)., European Journal of Neurology, Volume 25, Issue 7, 907-e66, 2018
- Lechtzin N, Cudkowicz ME, de Carvalho M, Genge A, Hardiman O, Mitsumoto H, Mora JS, Shefner J, Van den Berg LH, Andrews JA. Respiratory measures in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. , Journal Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, Volume 19, Issue 5-6, 321-330, 2018
- Andrews JA, Cudkowicz ME, Hardiman O, Meng L, Bian A, Lee J, Wolff AA, Malik FI, Shefner JM. VITALITY-ALS, a phase III trial of tirasemtiv, a selective fast skeletal muscle troponin activator, as a potential treatment for patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: study design and baseline characteristics., Journal Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, Volume 19, Issue 3-4, 259-266, 2018
- Andrews JA, Meng L, Kulke SF, Rudnicki SA, Wolff AA, Bozik ME, Malik FI, Shefner JM. Association Between Decline in Slow Vital Capacity and Respiratory Insufficiency, Use of Assisted Ventilation, Tracheostomy, or Death in Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis., JAMA Neurology, Volume 75, Issue 1, 58-64, 2017
- Meng L, Bian A, Jordan S, Wolff A, Shefner JM, Andrews J. Profile of medical care costs in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in the Medicare programme and under commercial insurance., Journal Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, Volume 19, Issue 1-2, 134-142, 2017
- Invited Speaker, 2019 California ALS Summit, Irvine CA., 2019
- Invited Speaker, 2018 Northeast ALS Clinical Trials Consortium Annual Meeting, Clearwater FL., 2018
- Plenary Speaker, 2018 FightMND Australasion ALS Symposium, Melbourne, Australia., 2018
- Lisa Krivickas Lecturer, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA., 2018
- Invited Speaker, Packard Symposium on ALS, Baltimore, MD., 2017
- Grand Rounds, Houston Methodist Medical Center., 2017
- Grand Rounds, University of Arizona College of Medicine., 2017
Grant Funding Received
- Barrow Neurological Institute application to become a NeuroNEXT site. NeuroNEXT clinical trials consortium site.
- Electrical impedance myography technology for quantitative, at-home muscle assessment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neuromuscular disorders. Goal: to further develop EIM as a biomarker and its relation to measures obtained by patients at home.
- Clinical Coordinating Center for the Network of Excellence in Neuroscience NeuroNEXT clinical trials consortium site The objective of the Network of Excellence in Neuroscience Clinical Trials initiative is to rapidly and efficiently translate advances in neuroscience into treatments for people with neurological disorders. Site investigator, member of clinical coordinating center.
- Speech Analysis in ALS Patients with and without Cognitive Abnormalities: Evaluation of Sensitivity and Disease Progression
- Treat ALS NEALS Clinical Trials Network. Goal: to facilitate the performance of investigator initiated ALS trials.
- A Phase 2 study of CK107 in Patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Goal: To determine the safety and preliminary efficacy of treatment of CK107 in ALS patients.
- Fluid Biomarkers with Deep Phenotyping in Patients with ALS. Goal: To discover fluid markers that correlate with specific aspects of decline in ALS patients.
- ALS AT HOME: Measuring ALS Progression using home based outcome measures. Goal: to reduce variability of standard outcome measures using frequent sampling and to test a paradigm whereby patients can participate in clinical trials remote from a study site.