Each year, the School of Medicine admits 152 students to begin positively impacting the future of health care. The Committee on Admissions selects applicants they judge to be best qualified for the study and practice of medicine. In evaluating applicants, they consider the qualities necessary in a physician:
- Intellectual curiosity
- Emotional maturity
- Proven scholastic ability
We welcome your application and the opportunity to consider you for admission to Creighton. Below we’ve included the criteria we consider when evaluating our medical school applicants.
To qualify for admission, the School of Medicine requires applicants to be United States citizens or United States permanent residents. Applicants are also asked to complete their required courses at an accredited four-year institution in the United States or Canada.
The Committee on Admissions requires applicants to have a foundation in the following activities:
- Commitment to “service of others” through non-medical volunteer activities
- Physician shadowing experiences
- Patient contact through clinical and/or medical experiences
Scientific research, though not required for admission, is also highly valued by the Committee.
The minimum educational requirements for admission to the School of Medicine are:
- The completion of a bachelor’s degree.
- All course requirements completed at an accredited institution within the United States or Canada.
- All science course requirements completed at an accredited four-year institution within the United States or Canada.
Please note that all course requirements must be completed by June 1 of the entrance year. The Office of Medical Admissions encourages students to complete all academic requirements prior to sitting for the MCAT.
- Human/Animal/Mammalian Physiology at the advanced level*
- Such courses will focus on the function of all organ-systems within humans and/or other mammals.
- English (Two courses)**
*Creighton considers Physiology courses that have a college biology or college chemistry prerequisite to be advanced level courses.
**Applicants may fulfill the English requirement by one of the following options:
- Completing two college English courses.
- Completing two courses designated as “writing intensive” and/or “certified writing.”
- Completing a combination of college English and “writing intensive” and/or “certified writing” courses.
We understand that many applicants may not have completed the new prerequisite courses prior to submitting their AMCAS. Applicants are still encouraged to apply for admission to Creighton. However, applicants will be required to complete the prerequisite courses prior to class matriculation in the fall.
Preference for Admission
- Advanced Level Courses:
Preference for admission will be given to applicants who complete at least one advanced science course, in addition to the required coursework, that provides a foundation in human and/or molecular-cellular biology.
- Recent Courses:
Preference for admission will be given to applicants who have completed an advanced level science course within 15 months of matriculation.
In addition to Creighton’s course prerequisites, applicants are encouraged to complete courses that will assist them in achieving competitive scores on the MCAT. Applicants should review the MCAT website for a listing of courses that provide the academic foundational concepts needed to prepare to sit for the test.
Below are suggested courses:
- General Biology
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- General Physics
Applicants are encouraged to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in the spring or summer of the year preceding their application to medical school. Creighton University will not consider MCAT scores submitted from examinations taken prior to those listed in the ‘Oldest MCAT Score’ column in the table below. The latest MCAT scores considered are listed in the ‘Newest MCAT Score’ column.
|Entry Year||Oldest MCAT accepted||Newest MCAT Accepted|
|Fall 2018||January 2015||September 2017|
|Fall 2019||January 2016||September 2018|