COVID-19 pandemic update
May is Osteoporosis Awareness Month, typically we offer FREE Bone Density Scans (DXA) to individuals who are 19 and over, who have not had a free scan with us in the last 5 years. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will not be offering these scans during May 2020. We may offer them in October 2020 for World Osteoporosis Day, on October 20th. Please keep checking our Facebook and website pages for updates. Stay Healthy!!!
The Osteoporosis Research Center (ORC) at Creighton University is the result of a 40-year effort that created an international center of excellence in bone research. We serves people at risk for or suffering from osteoporosis and strives to discover and disseminate knowledge related to the prevention and cure of osteoporosis.
The ORC’s achievements have positively impacted the lives of thousands of individuals. Some of our most notable achievements include:
- Setting the U.S. government standard for recommended dietary calcium intake
- Discovering a gene mutation that may lead to prevention of osteoporosis
- Contributing to the development of five drugs for the treatment of osteoporosis
- Discovering that vitamin D supplements may prevent 60 percent of all cancer
- Discovering that calcium and vitamin D supplements prevent fractures in female basic trainees – the U.S. Army now gives supplements to all male and female trainees
We continue to explore new osteoporosis initiatives, including those related to vitamin D and cancer prevention, standards for bone development in children and the role of genetics in bone development.
Learn more about the ORC team on our faculty page.